Show of 9-5-2009

• Email and Forum Questions
    • Email from James: Doc, as a long time listener I’d be very interested in hearing your personal bio, and how Stratford got started.
    • In an unrelated note, was delighted to receive the tickets for Fine Dining in April, which coincided with my first trip to the D.C. area in 36 years. Unfortunately Stratford was not offering fine dining during that session. Hope I make it back soon! My Best, James Messick, Kernersville, NC
    • Tech Talk Answers: I don’t talk too much about myself. I have PhD in Physics and did research for nearly 20 years before getting into education. I took over a small training organization from my father and created Stratford University over time. I got into this field because we can change lives and help our students succeed.
    • Email from Arnie: Doc, You’ve mentioned Registry Mechanic several times on Tech Talk. I bought it and have a question on how you use it. You said you run the program when you install  or delete software or after your son visits you. Do you keep the Registry Monitor part of the program on all the time, or just use the program periodically to clean your registry? Does keeping the monitor on all the time; doesn’t that slow down the computer? Thanks, Arnie McKechnie, Davidsonville, MD
    • Tech Talk Answers: I don’t run the monitor because I don’t like too many things running the background. I just periodically clean the registry. Once a month or so.
    • Email from Anna: Hi, I won a contest last week for a free meal. Anyway I am really displeased with Verizon DSL and I want to change service. I’m not exactly sure if my troubles are due to them but as I am paying $75 which includes a monthly fee for security I think my problems can be laid at their door. Could it be the Vista too? I’m not tech-savvy when it comes to all the computer stuff, but I’m trying.  Which service should I go to? I want something that could handle more than one box. Maybe a desktop and a few laptops.  My kids are going to need to do more and more work with the computer.  We have called and used Verizon security more than 3 times and after those calls things seem to go well for a few days. Then it starts to freeze up. I mean it freezes up on their home page Verizon central when going back and forth from e-mail to the home page. Also I’d like to keep my email address the same . Can you offer some advice? Anna
    • Tech Talk Answers: I didn’t like Verizon DSL. I dropped it and used cable until Verizon installed fiber in neighborhood. Now I use Verizon Fios. I would get a router (either wireless or Ethernet) to provide access for multiple computers. It will also provide a higher degree of security. The router can be connected to a DSL modem or a cable modem. If you get FIOS the wireless router and the modem are in the same box.
    • You should also make certain that all computers have virus protection software. You should also install Windows Defender (free download from MS) for adware and spyware protection. I don’t think you would need Verizon security.
    • Email from Robert: Doc, I agree the iphone is unsafe for business use. I wanted to get one but our IT department said they would not support it or let it have access to the City email. So I have been searching for a good iphone knock off and I think I have found just the thing.
    • The Samsung Omnia or the Samsung Omnia HD. The Hd, the newest model, has a larger screen with better resolution than the iphone and it looks really good.  It also runs windows mobile which our IT department likes.  So now I am just waiting for Verizon to introduce the newest Omnia HD which is rumored to come out around Christmas.  I am sure it will be expensive but the first Omnia can be had for $99 from time to time.  Good luck with your phone search.
    • Oh, and tell David Byrd that with the Samsung Omnia, you can change the battery! I would like to hear you review this phone before I buy it.  Thanks! Still listening in Amarillo, Texas Chief Robert Taylor
    • Tech Talk Answers: The Samsung Omnia HD looks like a great phone. It has a large high resolution capacitive touch active matrix organic light emitting diode screen (3.7”, 360×640 pixels, 16M colors) that is a good as the iPhone. Its operating system is not Microsoft but Symbian OS (an open source OS) which has more features than the iPhone, but is more difficult to operate. It has an 8MP camera with flash versus the iPhone 3.2 MP without flash. It supports both 2G and 3G GSM. It looks like a good iPhone substitute. If you really want support from you IT department, you are probably stuck with a Blackberry…..Storm, which I have, is a very, very poor iPhone substitute.
    • Email from Margaret (aka Geekchick) :Dr. Shurtz: Please help your listeners learn how to avoid this kind of thing going forward in life.
    • I own a Dell Inspiron E 1505, running on Windows X, which I bought new in 9/2006 from Dell. I have ALL of my original paperwork and accompanying materials. The Inspiron had MS Office Small Bus. Ed. 2003 installed by Dell..
    • I downloaded the trial version of MS Office 2007 Professional Pro from the Official MS download site. The install was not successful MS told me they know this issue that I should uninstall the trial, which I did.
    • Now, when I try and use MS Office, I am told to insert the original CD to ‘complete installation.’ However, Dell never sent me this CD.
    • I call Dell. I spend hours being transferred around and around. One tech support finally said that, Dell sent the software separately, but he can’t find a confirmation number. He then says he has no "authority" to send me a replacement CD.
    • I called MS and they escalated the request, but have done nothing so far.
    • Both of these companies –MS and Dell–emphatically told me I should be speaking to THE OTHER COMPANY. I have wasted on half a day so far. What should I do? Margaret
    • Tech Talk Answers: First of all, do you have your license number. If you do, then all you need is the install CD. You could borrow and copy this CD from a friend. You could also Google for it (MS Office Small Business Edition 2003 Download). There are copies of these on the web for download. They also include license numbers which you should not use.
    • If you are reluctant to download a bootleg copy, you could buy replacement CD from MS. U.S. customers can contact the Microsoft Order Desk at the following phone number: (800) 360-7561. It will cost about $10.
  • Profiles in IT: Nandan Nilekani
    • Nandan M. Nilekani is a co-founder of InfoSys, headquartered in Bangalore, India. Infosys is the Microsoft of India.