Show of 08-28-2021

Tech Talk Radio August 28, 2021

• Remembering Jim Russ.
  • Stratford University presents a special edition of Tech Talk Radio: Remembering Jim Russ.
  • I’m Andrew Mitchell, sitting in for the host of Tech Talk Radio, Doctor Richard Shurtz.
  • I’d like to start the show today by telling you about four little words:
  • “See you in September.” Those were the last words Jim ever said to me — on Saturday, August 14th, as he walked out the station doors.  “See you in September.”  Just like the song.  Now, when Jim said something like that, you could count on it.  When he said he’d be somewhere or do something, you could BET on it.  For fourteen years of Saturdays I knew that – if we were having a live Tech Talk that day – Jim was going to come through that door, on time and ready to do some radio.
  • This time Jim will not keep his word. I know I won’t see him next week.  Four days after that last “see you” – and one day before his 58th birthday – in the early hours of August 18th, Jim left this world in the very hospital in which he came into this world: at the Saint Joseph Medical Center in Towson.
  • You’re listening to a special edition of Tech Talk Radio, honoring the memory of our colleague Jim Russ, the long-time co-host of this show, who passed away on August 18th.
  • I’m Andrew Mitchell.
  • Doc Shurtz is away today – “on assignment,” as they say in the world of sports broadcasting. And let me tell you, as a fan of both baseball and baseball broadcasting, Jim would love that I made this reference just made.
  • I worked with Jim pretty closely for nearly a decade and a half, so I’m pretty sure I know what he loved and didn’t love, especially when it came to this show.
  • Like this bit, from  13 years ago:
    • Predictions that Didn’t Come True
  • Wisdom there from Doc Shurtz, uttered in 2008, still holding true today.
  • Now, Doc has been known to make some predictions of his own. Sometimes it has been about something that should NOT happen.  Considering what he had to say in the next segment – and he said this more than ten years ago – it’s a good thing that, as far as we know, this idea never became a reality:
    • Bad idea of the week: Steering car with eye movement
  • More of the late Jim Russ’s favorite segments from his 14 years as co-host coming up, as Tech Talk Radio continues.
  • This is a special edition of Tech Talk Radio, remembering Jim Russ. I’m Andrew Mitchell, in for Doctor Richard Shurtz.
  • Jim was not only a great radio man, he was also a good friend. Like, he was pretty good about remembering birthdays.  Not just of people, mind you, but certain things, too.  Here’s a topic to which we returned more than once after this first mention of it, in 2007:
    • Birthday of the CD
  • So, you hear Doc going out on a limb there in 2007 – and he was definitely right about the mp3. I mean, how many of us STILL have our CDs and even our vinyl records right there in the home and yet – when  we want to hear our favorite song – we just reach for our favorite music streaming service… or we just ask Alexa.
  • Now here are some more segments that Jim thought were worth a second – or even fourth or fifth – hearing.  This is a montage Jim put together for broadcast just a year ago, that started with a birthday shout out from 2010.
  • We have been mining the archives these last few days and finding that a lot of Jim’s favorite topics already came up in that first year of his co-hosting Tech Talk.
  • For example: one of Doc Shurtz’s life lessons – and a topic he has addressed many times over the years.  This is what he had to say when he first brought it up with Jim in 2007.
    • The Chicken and the Egg (Finding a Job)
  • Maybe substitute the word “websites” for the word “magazines” and you still have good advice for finding a job in the 2020s.
  • This is a special edition of Tech Talk Radio. I’m Andrew Mitchell.  We’re remembering our colleague Jim Russ today.  He passed away on August 18th.
  • Now, some of his favorite Tech Talk moments involved Doc Shurtz discussing the science of food. Important things, like keeping the lumps out of your gravy.  We go back to 2010 for this one:
    • Food Science: Avoiding Lumping Graving and making Bread
  • Over the years, we covered food science for every season:
    • Cookout Calculator
  • And here’s a bit of food science that will come in handy just about three months from now:
    • Cooking a Frozen Turkey (a good idea)
  • And here’s a bit Jim liked to “pop open” – pardon the pun – at least once a year around the holidays:
    • Physics of Champagne Bubbles
  • And so, let us raise a toast to a great broadcaster and a wonderful colleague, Jim Russ, who passed away on August 18th.
  • That’s it for this special edition of Tech Talk radio, presented by Stratford University. Our usual host, Doctor Richard Shurtz, will rejoin us next week, when we get together on the radio once again on Saturday morning at 9:00 – on 1500 AM in the Washington area and FederalNewsNetwork.com worldwide.
  • I’m Andrew Mitchell. Thanks for listening.