Show of 09-24-2016

Tech Talk

24 September, 2016

Best of Tech Talk Edition

• Segments replayed from previous shows

Email and Forum Questions

• Email from Barbie in Reston:Dear Doc and Jim. My health app does not have any data. Steps and Distance have data. I have an iPhone 5S. Enjoy the podcast. Barbie in Reston.
  • Tech Talk Responds: I have bad news for you. The iPhone5S does not have a barometer, which is the sensor that is used to measure altitude. The barometer was not until the iPhone6. You will just have to remove Stairs from the Dashboard for now and wait until you upgrade.
  • Email from Mike in Maryland:Hello “Classroom of the Airwaves.” Can you recommend a 6 inch smartphone? The ageing process has reduced my eye vision. I have a 5 inch Motorola G smartphone (2nd generation), but the 5 inch screen is now too small for my eye vision. I feel even a 5.7 inch screen is too small. I am not interested in Apple or Samsung products. Can you recommend another reliable brand with a 6 inch screen? Love your show! Mike from Maryland
  • Tech Talk Responds: You are looking for a phablet. Most of the phablets have screen sizes of 5.5 to 5.7 inches. There are several in this category, including Samsung and iPhone. Most of these phablets are running the Android OS. If you really want a big screen, you can get a full tablet with phone capability. Asus Fonepad 8 has all the functionality of a tablet plus voice call and phone messaging functionalities. It has an 8-inch and a 12 hour battery life. I would also suggest that you search the accessibility sites for android apps that appeal to you. There are many magnifiers and voice activated options.
  • Email from Arnie in Colorado Springs:Hi Dr. Shurtz. Are you familiar with “How to Geek Newsletter?” Interesting tidbits of IT information. Much of the info over my head or applicable for me, but interesting none the less. You’d understand all of it. Great show. Thanks. Arnie, Colorado Springs, CO
  • Tech Talk Responds: Arnie, that is a great website. Very clearly written with good, practical advice. Link to site:http://www.howtogeek.com/
  • Email from Jim in the Studio:Doc, I use my iPhone as my alarm clock. As you know, because of my job, I keep odd hours. Is there a way to mute the speaker and have the alarm to play only through my headphones? I’ve tried all of the obvious means to turn the speaker off. Signed: Trying not to wake the neighbors (from the other side of the studio). 
  • Tech Talk Responds: No, unfortunately there is no such setting. Your best bet is probably to use a 3rd party app with alarm clock functionality. That way it will only play the sound through the headphones and not the speakers. The main disadvantage is that you would need to remember to keep the app launched before you go to bed each time.
  • Another option is to mute the voice before inserting the earphones and then put in the earphones and set the volume. This way the alarm sound will only come through the earphones because you have muted your phone, not the earphones. You could also record a silent alarm and then used that as the sound and set the alarm to vibrate. The vibration works really well if you put the phone next to or under your pillow.
  • Email from XX:Dear Doc and Jim. Years ago when I created an Xbox live account, I used a Hotmail since I didn’t have Gmail. My PC uses my Gmail as my Microsoft account, and there’s an Xbox app on my PC. I don’t like having two emails. I in fact despise my Hotmail. Can I merge them and delete the Hotmail entirely while saving the info to my Gmail. 
  • Tech Talk Responds: If your Gmail Microsoft account does not have a Gamertag, you can move your Xbox Live profile information over from your Hotmail Microsoft account. You could then set up the Hotmail account to auto forward to the Gmail account, so you never have to really bother with it except in specific occasions.
  • Email from Alex:Dear Doc and Jim. What is a hardware hypervisor? I don’t know a lot about VMs but the concept seems like an oxymoron to me. If the OS is being run on hardware, how is it “virtual?” Enjoy the podcast. Alex
  • Tech Talk Responds: A Hypervisor is basically an operating system that’s designed to do one thing: run virtual operating systems on top of itself. The Hypervisor creates virtual computers that use the physical hardware in a shared fashion, and then shows them as if they were normal computer hardware, and thus you get the ability to run multiple virtual computers on one piece of hardware. A Type 1 Hypervisor that runs directly on the hardware. For example, VMware ESXi (part of vSphere). A Type 2 Hypervisor would be VMware Workstation, which runs on top of Windows, and then you can run virtual computers on top of it and Windows.
  • Email from XX:Are the high end routers a rip-off? I saw a post about the new Asus router, ASUS RT-AC5300 for $375. I was wondering if it’s all just a gimmick. Are the 20-70 dollar routers just as good? Enjoy the show. XX
  • Tech Talk Responds: This is a commercial grade router for a small office. It is a tri-band (dual 5 GHz, single 2.4 GHz) with the latest 802.11ac 4×4 technology for maximum throughput (5334 Mbps) and coverage (up to 5,000 sq. ft.). It is probably overkill for your application, unless you are a heavy gamer or Netflix user with many computers, and a large house.
  • Typically higher-end Routers are higher quality because they use better internal chipsets, as well as, better hardware-design and better coded firmware. A $100 to $150 router is going to be a better performing Router than a cheap $20 you got on a Wal-Mart sale day. Better routers can handle a higher number of simultaneous connections. The sweet spot for a home router is around $100. Make certain to get a dual band router (5.8 GHz and 2.4 GHz).
  • Email from Andy:Dear Doc and Jim. Where can I purchase a small, hidden camera? I share a room with my brother. But everyone in the house is denying turning it off every time it happens. Someone keeps entering my room and turning off the switch for the plugs, even when my PS4 is on or in rest mode. It is really beginning to bug me. I don’t want to spend too much. Thanks, Andy.
  • Tech Talk Responds: There are many hidden camera options available. One particular vendor has many form factors (clocks, power adapters, etc.) for as low as $80.
  • Check out:http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/category/hidden+cameras.do

Profiles in IT: Samuel Finley Breese Morse

• Samuel Finley Breese Morris was inventor of the single wire telegraph and co-inventor of the Morse code used to communicate
  • Samuel Finley Breese Morse was born April 27, 1791 in Charlestown, Massachusetts.
  • He attended the Phillips Academy in Andover, Massachusetts.
  • He enrolled in Yale College, studying philosophy, mathematics and science of horses.
  • He supported himself by painting and in 1810 graduated with Phi Beta Kappa honors.
  • In 1811, he sailed to England with artist Benjamin West to perfect his painting.
  • By the end of 1811, he was admitted to the Royal Academy, where he learned neo-classical art of the Renaissance and paid close attention to Michelangelo and Raphael.
  • After observing and practicing life drawing and absorbing its anatomical demands, the young artist successfully produced his masterpiece, the Dying Hercules.
  • He left England on August 21, 1815 and began his career as an American painter.
  • From 1815–1825, he sought to capture the essence of America’s culture and life.
  • From 1830 to 1832, Morse returned to Europe to improve his painting skills.
  • On the sea voyage home in 1832, Morse met Charles Thomas Jackson who showed him experiments with electromagnets.
  • Morse developed the concept of a single-wire telegraph, which he promptly patented.
  • He proposed to send information over the line using the Morse code.
  • His first patent was not officially awarded until 1840.
  • Morse could not send a telegraphic signal more than a few hundred yards of wire.
  • With the help of Leonard Gale, a NYU professor, he sent a message ten miles.
  • Morse and Gale were joined by Alfred Vail, who had skills, insights and money.
  • Morse and Vail made the first demonstration of the telegraph on January 11, 1838.
  • The first public transmission, with the message “A patient waiter is no loser.
  • Morse was awarded a contract for $30,000 to connect Washington and Baltimore.
  • On May 24, 1844, the line was officially opened as Morse sent the famous words “What hath God wrought” His telegraph could transmit thirty characters per minute.
  • In May 1845 the Magnetic Telegraph Company was formed in order to connect New York City towards Philadelphia, Boston, Buffalo and the Mississippi.
  • Samuel Morse received a patent for the telegraph in 1847 in Istanbul, which was issued by Sultan Abdülmecid who personally tested the new invention.
  • The Morse telegraphic apparatus was officially adopted as the 1851.
  • In the US, Morse had his telegraph patent ignored for many years.
  • In 1853, the Supreme Court upheld his patent for the telegraph. However, the Court denied the Morse code patent, a decision has applied to patenting software.
  • In addition to the telegraph, Morse invented a marble-cutting machine that could carve three dimensional sculptures in marble or stone.
  • Morse was a leader in the anti-Catholic and anti-immigration movement.
  • Morse had four children with his first wife and four more with his second.
  • Morse died of pneumonia at his home in New York City April 2, 1872.
  • Morse estate was valued at some $500,000 ($9.14 million today).
  • He held four patents dealing with the communication information by signals by the application of electro-magnetism.

David Burd Surprise Visit

• iPhone 6 Plus Requires a man purse
  • Can Apple pay be trusted?
  • Advantages of Apple SIM
  • Challenges when exchanging iPhone 6 Plus for iPhone 6…beware
  • More tech humor

Food Science — Mother Sauces

• Culinary Moves from Italy to France
    • Culinary tradition moved from Italy to France in the 16th century.
    • Catherine de Medici, niece of the Magnificent, took a multitude of cooks and their helpers to Paris when she married, at age 14, Henry of Orleans, the future Henry II in 1533.
  • The Mother Sauces –The five mother sauces as designated by Escoffier were bechamel, veloute, hollandaise, espagnole, and tomato.
    • Béchamel, the classic white sauce, was named after its inventor, Louis XIV’s steward Louis de Béchamel. The king of all sauces, it is often referred to as a cream sauce because of its appearance and is probably used most frequently in all types of dishes. Made by stirring milk into a butter-flour roux, the thickness of the sauce depends on the proportion of flour and butter to milk.
    • Veloutéis a stock-based white sauce. It can be made from chicken, veal or fish stock. Enrichments such as egg yolks or cream are sometimes also added.
    • Espagnole, or brown sauce, is traditionally made of a rich meat stock, a mirepoix of browned vegetables (most often a mixture of diced onion, carrots and celery), a nicely browned roux, herbs and sometimes tomato paste.
    • Hollandaiseis made with an emulsion of egg yolks and fat. Hollandaise is made with butter, egg yolks and lemon juice, usually in a double boiler to prevent overheating, and served warm. It’s also used as the base for such mixtures as Tartar Sauce, Thousand Island Dressing, Aïoli, and Remoulade.
    • This is self-explanatory.
  • Some chefs add a sixth sauce to the list.
    • Vinagrette. Sometimes this sixth one is added to the list. Vinagrette is a sauce made of a simple blend of oil, vinegar, salt and pepper (usually 3 parts oil to 1 part vinegar).