Show of 5-19-2012

Best of Tech Talk Edition

• Segments taken from previous shows.

Email and Forum Questions

• Email from Margaret: Dear Dr. Richard Shurtz, I own the Logitech Sqeezebox Internet Radio. When it works, I really like it, but, it is having issues. There are times when it simply looses connection/signal. I don’t know how to troubleshoot this–is it the radio or is it my Mbps upload/download speed through my Verizon FiOS service? I did several speed tests a few days back and my speed is really low…4.0 download and 1.73 upload. Do I have a defective radio, or, do I need to hand over more $ to Verizon and get a speed upgrade?
  • How do I know if that will improve the radio performance? I only use internet w/ Verizon–no tv & no phone (never will get either of these through Verizon and wish there was another way to get internet besides Verizon in my area…). Thanks, Margaret, a regular listener in Bethesda
  • Tech Talk Responds: You have enough bandwidth for listening to audio. I could be that your bandwidth drops during peak times, as I experience. There is not guaranteed bandwidth with FIOS. Just a maximum allowed speed. Sometimes I have to reboot my wireless router and reconnect to re-establish the Internet connection. The Squeezebox has gotten excellent reviews, except for some comments about difficulty with the interface.
  • Email from Lauren: Dear Dr. Shurtz, I’d like to recommend you showcase: Christopher Soghoian, there is an article on him in Wired, Dec ’11 issue. He finds security flaws and privacy issues and makes a stink about them. Hopefully you will find him worth showcasing.
  • On another note, I went to your TechTalk website on Tuesday, Dec 27 to get the link to send you an email. But, you all have revised your website and I got this message when I clicked on the ’email the show’ link: Firefox doesn’t know how to open this address because the protocol (email to) isn’t associated with any program.
  • I am using my work notebook to write you and to visit your website. I contacted our firm’s help desk — expecting them to resolve this, but, no such luck. Best, Lauren, Bethesda
  • Tech Talk Responds: Christopher Soghoian is a good suggestion. He is local and would be a good candidate for a future show.
  • We fixed the error on the website. It should have been mail to; instead of email to: Thanks for the feedback.
  • Email from Robert Tyler: Dear Dr. Shurtz: Just thought you would like to know that I keep getting this warning message when I try to download the Tech Talk
  • podcast from ITunes: The URL”http//www.stratford.edu/mp3/techtalk111911.mp3″ cannot be found on the server. I’m not having any problems with the other podcasts I
  • listen to.
  • On another topic, could Tech Talk do a profile of Mark Russinovich in the “Profiles in IT” portion of your radio show? I recently read book he wrote entitled “Zero Day” and it was great. I understand he also works for Microsoft. I think he would be a good subject. Thank you. Robert Tyler
  • Tech Talk Responds: We will feature Mark on today’s show. Thanks for the suggestions.
  • The original podcast file had an error in the MP3 address for the November 19, 2011 show. Your original email prompted me to check and fix it. I have since fixed the podcast. You need to reload the podcast to get the corrected file. If for some reason this does not work, you can always get the file directly using the link: http://www.stratford.edu/mp3/techtalk111911.mp3. Thanks for listening to Tech Talk.
  • Email from Arnie: Hi Dr. Shurtz, I’ve found several secure web sites to store passwords and related password managing sites:
    • www.lastpass.com (From January 2012 Consumer Reports)
    • www.keepass.com (From January 2012 Consumer Reports)
    • www.roboform (From CNET)
  • My questions are: How secure are such sites themselves? (Some are cloud sites) Which ones pass your screening? Are any of these used by Stratford staff?
  • If one buys an encrypted flash drive to store their passwords, does the computer used to enter passwords on the flash drive keep the passwords somewhere in memory where someone could access them? If so, this seems to defeat using this method of storing passwords securely.
  • Finally, what is “etoken” and how does it work to protect sites? Does Stratford use eTokens?
  • Sorry no physics questions this time. Hope these questions aren’t too lengthy for the program. Merry Christmas & love Techtalk, Arnie McKechnie, Davidsonville, MD
  • Tech Talk Responds: So many questions. Let’s give a few quick ansnwers.
  • First, I would not store my critical passwords on the cloud. I would use a password encryption program on my computer. KeePass (free) or Roboform ($29) are my top choices. If you are a Mac user, try 1Password ($39 desktop, $15 mobile). As for cloud storage, www.lastpass.com has gotten great reviews ($1/month). However, that is not my preference.
  • As for an encrypted thumb drive. This gives you even more security. Once the passwords are stored, they are not retained in your computer memory after roboot. They could be temporarily stored in memory cache. You can get a good encruptions drive for around $60.
  • An eToken is a device that plugs into a USB port on your computer. It is designed to hold a Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) security certificate, which is an electronic certificate that uniquely identifies individuals to computers. A rough analogy would be that an eToken is part of an electronic Identification Card that is completed or enabled when you enter your password. The eToken is about the size of a house key and can be kept on your key ring. We don’t use eTokens at Stratford for remote access.
  • Email from Santa’s Girlfriend: Merry Christmas to Dr. Richard Shurtz and all those who make TT come together and educate and inform the listeners!! I have a job that my place of work is my home office. Neither the employer nor the client I am assigned to has space for our small team in their brick/mortar locations.
  • The reason I’m contacting You is this laptop I’ve been given goes into the Control/Alt/Delete mode when I’m not typing for 15 minutes.
  • I contacted the firm’s help desk and was told this is “Firm Policy” and can’t be changed. I do like my job and the company but this policy is a waste of my time having to relogin multiple times during my workday…Are you aware of any workaround to this– I realize I am likely dreaming… Of course, it is not worth loosing my job over so perhaps I just am stuck w/ this…Happy New Year, Santa’s Girlfriend
  • Tech Talk Responds: You system administrator has implemented a very good security practice. You might be using your computer in a more public area and login out automatically would be important if it were stolen. Be glad that he gave you 15 minutes. There is not work around for this security configuration.
  • Email from Margaret: Dr. Richard Shurtz, I continue to have issues with this appl. On an earlier TT show you mentioned a website/resource that is the Best Place to learn all the features/functions of WLM. I went back and read through a couple of months of postings of answers you gave on the air and couldn’t find t hat answer.
    • How do I research/do a ‘word’ search for a topic from any/all of your prior shows?
    • Please repeat the source to learn all about managing my WLM , 2009 version, running on Windows XP.
  • My Biggest problem is deleting old emails and I wish there was a way to set to to AUTOMATICALLY delete any email in any of my 9 email inboxes when it is over 4 months old, but don’t want it to delete ANYthing I’ve saved in a personal folder on the Left side of the screen. Thanks, Big TechTalk/Dr Shurtz admirer, Margaret
  • Tech Talk Responds: The internal search for Tech Talk content does not work now with the new website. I will get that function added to the new site.
  • You can search a particular site using the follow search words: “windows live mail site:Stratford.edu” This will search only the Stratford site for the listing. It did work this morning. However, all of the link are from the old website and don’t work. I will get this search function operating this month.
  • As for windows live mail, I don’t know a way to automatically delete emails after 4 months. I can’t find that as a configuration option. You can get help on WLM from this website: http://windowslivehelp.com/

Profiles in IT: Steven McConnell Case

• Stephen McConnell Case is best knows as the co-founder and former CEO and Chairman of American Online (AOL).
  • Steve Case was born August 21, 1958 in Honolulu, Hawaii.
  • Case graduated from Punahou School in 1976.
  • He graduated from Williams College in Williamstown, Massachusetts in 1980 with a degree in political science.
  • For the next two years he worked as an assistant brands manager Procter & Gamble in Cincinnati, Ohio.
  • In 1982 he joined Pizza Hut Inc. in Wichita, Kansas, serving as manager of new pizza marketing.
  • In January 1983, he was hired as a marketing consultant for Control Video Corp.
  • The company was marketing a service called Gameline for the Atari 2600 video game console that allowed users to download games via a phone line and modem.
  • Later that year, the company nearly went bankrupt.
  • Frank Caufield, one of the investors, brought in Jim Kimsey as a manufacturing consultant and hired Case as a full-time marketing employee.
  • In 1985, Case helped found Quantum Computer Services, an online services company, from the remnants of Control Video.
  • Jim Kimsey became CEO of the newly renamed Quantum Computer Services and promoted Case to vice president of marketing.
  • In 1987, Kimsey promoted Case again to executive vice president. Kimsey groomed Case to become chairman and CEO when Kimsey retired, and the transition formally took place in 1991 (CEO) and 1995 (chairman).
  • As part of the changes that gave birth to Quantum, Case changed the company’s strategy, creating an online service called Quantum Link (Q-Link for short) for the Commodore 64 in 1985 with programmer (and AOL co-founder) Marc Seriff.
  • In 1988, Quantum began offering the AppleLink online service for Apple and PC-Link for IBM compatible computers.
  • In 1991 he changed the company name to America Online and merged the Apple and PC services under the AOL name.
  • The new service reached 1 million subscribers by 1994.
  • After a decade of quick growth, AOL merged with media giant Time Warner.
  • The $164 billion merger was completed in January 2000 but quickly ran into trouble as part of the dot-com recession, compounded by accounting scandals.
  • Case announced his resignation as chairman in January 2003, although remained on the company’s board of directors for almost three more years.
  • Case still defends the merger saying that it was the correct vision, but that the implementation was poorly executed. True merging never occurred.
  • Case resigned from the Time-Warner board of directors in October 2005.
  • He founded Revolution LLC (www.revolution.com) in April 2005.
  • Revolution is a holding company which focuses on multiple consumer market sectors, including Health, Financial Services, Resorts, Living and Digital.
  • He is chairman of the Case Foundation, which he and his wife Jean created in 1997.
  • Case accounts on Facebook and Twitter.

Finding a Lost iPhone

• Track your iPhone via MobileMe
    • Apple has announced a new service called Find My iPhone that will allow iPhone owners to remotely locate their lost or stolen iPhones using the iPhone’s GPS. The service will be available as part of Apple’s MobileMe online subscription service.
    • The Find My iPhone feature will require a subscription to Apple’s MobileMe service, which cost $99 per year.
  • iPhone anti-theft solution – iLocalis
    • iLocalis lets you track your iPhone device location and also remote control it!
    • It is considered as the best theft-tracking and remote control utility for Apple iPhone…..but Apple won’t allow the app on iTunes.
    • iLocalis needs a jailbroken iPhone with Cydia installed and supports all firmware versions on iPhone 3G and 3GS. It is $20/year.
    • If your iPhone is stolen you can log into the site and check out where it’s at. Extra features built into iLocalis allow you to send text messages or make calls on your iPhone when you don’t even have it with you.
    • If you iPhone is stolen log in and send yourself a text message. If the thief changed the sim card you’ll have their phone number!
  • GPS tracking for iPhone with Mobile Spy 3.0
    • Mobile Spy version 3.0 spy software for Apple iPhone from Retina-X studios allows users to track GPS locations, SMS messages and calls.
    • Mobile Spy allows users to monitor their handsets in real time and runs in the background behind all other applications.
    • The Mobile Spy version 3.0 software is compatible with all iPhone models and is priced at $99.97 (1-year subscription).
  • Find and Recover your Stolen iPhone with iHound
    • This free security program alerts you when your iphone is connected to another individual’s computer. It will also track down the location of where your device is being used.
    • The second method can be very useful when the stolen iPhone is switched off and later gets connected to a computer for changing software or formatting the memory card.
    • Can be download from the App Store for $2.99.
  • Recover your Lost/Stolen iPhone with Navizon app
    • Navizon is a hybrid positioning system combining GPS, Wi-Fi and Cellular triangulation techniques. It calculates the geographic location of a wireless device by analyzing the signals from nearby Wi-Fi access points and cellular towers and comparing it against a database of known data points.
    • A new option called Locate-by-SMS allows you to locate your lost iPhone by just sending an SMS text message to it.

Food Science (Chopsticks and Rice)

• Chopsticks
    • History of chopsticks
    • Types of chopsticks (crasftmanship, carvings)
    • Confucius and chopsticks (used to promote non-violence)
    • Non-chopstick countries
  • Rice
    • History and usage
    • Types of rice (rough rice, brown rice, white rice, wild rice)
    • Rice wine (sake)