Show of 1-10-2009

• Email and Forum Questions
  • Email from Tung: Dear Tech Talk, Someone told me that I should not post my email address to online forums. Is that correct and why? I listen over the Internet from Ohio. Love the show, Tung.
  • Tech Talk Answers: Posting your email address is a bad idea. Anyone can see it and that includes spammers who harvest email address with spiders that troll the Internet.
  • So don’t let your email address get harvest. Make is difficult to read for the bots can’t use it.
  • Change tung@hotmail.com to:
    • tung at hotmail.com
    • tung(at)hotmail.com
    • tung(at)hotmail(dot)com
  • Tung, don’t reveal your-naked email address.
  • Email from John: Dear Tech Talk, My hard drive has recently slowed down. It takes a long time to save a file and to retrieve data. Is something wrong with my hard drive.
  • Tech Talk answers: You have some slight damage of your magnetic media. Your drive could also be full and the files are heavily segmented.
  • First check how full your drive is. If it is full, your files are probably fragmented and your need to defrag.
  • If after defragging, the drive is still slow, you may have some slight magnetic damage on the drive. I would run SpinRite to evaluation the media. SpinRite can detect bad sections and actually recondition some. You can download it from Gibson Research (http://www.grc.com)
  • SpinRite provides data recovery and drive maintenance to the latest file systems, operating systems, and hard drives. It retails for $89.00.